Catching a break. . .

Friday, May 31, 2013

After so so long, finally I had a very good one week break. And this time round, I really enjoyed my one week vacation. Though I never went any far away places, but the agenda of my vacation was really interesting, and it was really with some amazing people. So let's begin:

For a short 4-day 3-night getaway, I went to Chiang Mai, Thaland, with Jia Pin and another friend, Yong Jun. The trip was planned about a year ago. In fact, the story of what sparked this trip was quite funny, but it's not a story for now. Haha. Let's leave it for another day. So we went to Chiang Mai, and it has been very long since I left the country for vacation(Singapore doesn't count, I work there). Being in my position, it's really difficult to go on a out of the country vacation. But anyway, I guess this trip counts? In fact, I really enjoyed this trip because of how some of the photos turned out. My friends who know me will know that I have interest in landscape/scenery photography, and travelling around gives me good opportunities to shoot what I like. And, from the few photos that I'm very satisfied with, I'm quite happy with this trip =)
However, aside from static landscape shots, I hope to learn to shoot pictures with humans in it. I realised that I am very bad at composing shots when people are moving around. I never got any good candid shots from all the night markets that we went. We reached Chiang Mai on a Saturday, and when we checked into the hotel(this photo is of the hotel's swimming pool by the way), the receptionist told us that there will be a Saturday night market near the hotel we're staying in. And on the next day, after coming back from our one-day tour to a few places outside of Chiang Mai, our tour guide told us that there would be a Sunday night market in another area that is near our hotel again. To top it off, there is another night market out in the city area that is held everyday there. So I guess that got our night activities covered.
During the days, we went for tours, one of it being the obligatory elephant tours. There, we learned about elephants, ride on them, watch them perform, and of course, get smacked by the reality that an elephant can paint better than me. The elephant ride was fun! Though the elephants tend to be quite show-offs and enjoy walking very near to cliffs or edges of the road. I'm glad that I made it out in one piece.
Aside from that, we visited some temples during the day, and at this particular temple, I took my favourite shot of the trip! This temple was in fact near our hotel, and we found it while visiting all the temples that were nearby our hotel on the first day, since we arrived in the evening and there weren't anything much we can do. When I was taking this shot, I was merely testing and playing around with the angle, until I realised that the sun was setting, hence I decided to try to get a shot like this. Turned out much better than expected. Trying out win! =)
This is also another of my favourite  photos from the trip. This picture is of the waterfall on top of the highest peak in Thailand, at Doi Ithannon. As I prefer outdoor activities over shopping and walking around the city, we decided to visit Doi Ithannon instead of the popular suggestion Chiang Rai. And we had a lot of fun here. Mainly because we went without a tour guide telling us what to do, hence we ended up climbing around the waterfall, taking photos and enjoying the beautiful scenery. Though I have to admit, holding a camera at such a place is quite dangerous, and it kinda restrict me from having fun with the ice cold water.

Anyway, the Chiang Mai trip was half the reason why this one week vacation was amazing. I would say that my trip back to Ipoh was fantastic as well. Met up with many old friends, had a lot of fun, and one of the friends I met particularly actually made my trip back more aMAYzing(pun intended). However, I do feel very very very very guilty about a small accident. Hence, to a certain Miss Tan, if you're reading this, a thousand apologies!!

Last but not least, my vacation ended with 3 visitors to Ipoh. Two of them from KL, and one of them from Singapore. Alison and her two colleagues came down, and since I was in town, I thought I'd hang out with them, bring them around in their Ipoh foodhunt. As Malaysians, the three of us are very proud and happy that our Singaporean guest enjoyed Malaysian food very much. The only one thing we're not so proud of, is when we talked about the state of Malaysia(politics and stuffs).

And hopefully, I'll have more things to write about to keep this blog as alive(or as less dead) as possible.

0 comments: