The Greatest Power. . .

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Like the title says, what do you think is the greatest power in the world? If you think this whole post is about cheesy stuffs like "the power of love", please, go sit at that corner there and cry yourself to sleep. Cause I'm not talking about that. Started off my day with a little discussion of "the value of money" with a friend over a Facebook photo. The photo reads, "Don't educate your children to be rich, educate them to be happy. So that when they grow up, they'll know the value of things, not the price".

What'd you think? For me, I completely disagree with the saying. In fact, I think if you want your kids to know the value of things, educate them to be rich! Only when they realized that money are hard to come by, they'll see the true value of things. Personally, I believe that everything has a price tag on it. Everything. Everything we have in this world can be translated to some monetary value, and that's the price tag on it. So probably whoever's reading this will think that I would vouch for "money" to be the greatest power in the world? Well, honestly, I thought so too, not until a few minutes ago. I sat and thought, and I realized something.

The greatest power in the world is knowledge, not money. I'm not talking about academic knowledge, I'm talking about the fact that you know or you don't. Humans are afraid of things that they don't know about. Humans fear uncertainties, and unpredictabilities of things around us creates qualms and worries. The whole idea of health/life insurance feeds on this fact. You're not afraid of the dark, you're just afraid of what you can't see. You're not afraid of being poor, you're just scared because you don't know how to live without money. Knowledge, or the lack thereof, is the greatest power in the world. It drives you crazy for not being able to know. There's not one person who is not curious about anything at all in the world. The urge of needing to know, drives research and discoveries, but at the same time, kills. The saying "ignorance is bliss" is a fiction. It is because you that you KNOW that you choose to ignore, which means that you're just afraid of knowing.

Knowledge rules over all emotions known to men. The lack of it causes insecurities and fear, while the presence of knowledge drives greed and desires. It is truly, the most terrifying power in the world. Last but not least, this whole post, was written because of my own lack of knowledge. Because of the things I don't know, I feel insecure, I'm scared, and I finally realized the power of knowledge.

2 comments:

Jia Ning said...

That is, also lack of happiness.

Jia Ning said...

That is, also lack of happiness.